To show the organization of the course that includes this module, follow this link Course organization
The integrated course of Microbiology and Hygiene aims to give students the integrated skills regarding the notions of Hygiene, microbiology and the basics of immunology. This concerns in particular the possession:
- specific knowledge and general and specific patterns of epidemiology and prevention of chronic-degenerative and infectious diseases, with particular regard to those related to the dental profession
- knowledge of the techniques of modern microbiological diagnostics, of the role of microorganisms as agents of infectious diseases, with particular regard to diseases of the oral cavity.
- basic knowledge of general pathology and immunology.
In particular, the course of Hygiene is oriented to provide a knowledge of the subject with particular insights relevant to the dental profession. In particular, the purpose of this course is to provide the student with the knowledge of:
- of behavior patterns related to the correct lifestyle,
- the assessment of socio-economic conditions and social and health conditions that are related to the state of health and / or illness of the population
-the basis of health education due to the knowledge of epidemiology and the prevention of infectious diseases and chronic degenerative diseases existing in the various geographical areas.
-of professional risks (environmental, infectious) during dental care.
Skills: The course aims to enable the student, regarding the dental profession, to:
- having acquired a correct behavior protocol to prevent infectious diseases during dental therapies
- be able to do health education, according to the knowledge acquired on epidemiology and prevention of the main infectious and chronic degenerative diseases (primary prevention)
- be able to detect early lesions and diseases in early stages (infectious and degenerative)
In order to evaluate the achieved level of knowledge and understanding of the subject in progress, during the lectures there is a continuous interaction with all the students, both through explanations and repeated comparisons.
At the end of the course their knowledge of the subject is assessed by exam.
The course includes 40 hours of frontal lessons.
- General Epidemiology and Methodology
- General patterns of transmission of infectious diseases
- Models of prevention of infectious diseases.
- Epidemiology and prevention of parenterally and fecal-oral transmitted infectious diseases.
- Vaccine prophylaxis. Serumprophylaxis. Chemoprofilaxis.
- Epidemiology and prevention of chronic degenerative diseases. Primary prevention and health education. Secondary prevention.
- Epidemiology and prevention of major diseases primarily interesting pathology of the oral cavity: dental caries, periodontal disease, malocclusions, cancers.
- Health and safety in the dental practice. Sanitation, disinfection and sterilization.
- Epidemiology and prevention of diabetes.
|Auxilia F, Pontello M||“Igiene e Sanità Pubblica: I fondamenti della Prevenzione”||PICCIN - PADOVA||2011||978-88-299-2069-3|
Written exam: open questions on the topics explained during the lesson.
Evaluation: vote in x / 30.
Equal exam for students attending and not attending.